I use this recipe as the base for a warm salad on a cool day. It is also a perfect side.
Braised Cabbage with Herbed Vinaigrette
A perfect side on a winter's night
- Toaster Oven
- 2-3 piece Green Cabbages quartered
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1 pinch fennel seeds crushed with your fingers
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Place cabbage, chicken stock, butter, salt and pepper in a roasting dish. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until cabbage is fork-tender. Don’t worry if it gets a bit golden around edges.
- To make the herbed vinaigrette, heat olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add shallot, thyme and fennel and sweat until shallots have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, whisking until combined.
- Place cabbage on a serving platter and drizzle with vinaigrette.