When your sister gives you a bottle of Grapefruit Absolut Vodka and you open the back deck cooler to find a 3-day-old, half-eaten watermelon…well the creative juices start flowing.
I used a lavender lime simple syrup that I found at the Vancouver Boat Show from Forbidden Spirits in Kelowna. It is called Forbidden Elixir and is available online. They are famous for their apple-based Rebel Vodka in the really beautiful seascape bottle.
You can refrigerate the simple syrup but I put it in ice cube trays and froze it into cubes, which I put in a Tupperware container in the freezer. It lasts longer and is great for single-use recipes.
Again, summer in a glass! Enjoy!!
- 1 Blender
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Very Pretty 8-Ounce Cocktail Glass
- 1.5 oz Grapefruit Absolut Vodka
- 1 oz Lavender-Lime Simple Syrup You can also use simple syrup, agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, or a sugar replacement)
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 4 oz Freshly Blended Watermelon
- 1 ea Watermelon Slice and Mint Sprig for the Garnish
- Put the watermelon in a blender and puree. If you have cheesecloth, you can strain out the seeds or let it sit and separate (the seeds float to the top). Pour into a separate container holding back the top layer with a knife or straight edge. I like to chill the juice for a few hours before serving.
- 2 cups of blended watermelon will yield about 1.5 cups of juice.
- Fill an 8-ounce cocktail shaker with ice and pour all of the ingredients into the shaker. Let it sit for 30 seconds, shake vigorously and pour the entire contents into your very beautiful cocktail glass.
- Garnish and enjoy!