Why I Love It
The Best Monocular for Boating!
The biggest reason I like a monocular for boating is the compact and lightweight design. It is easy to throw on the dash of the dinghy or toss in a backpack. And how many times do you say, “I wish I brought the binoculars!”
- A monocular is lightweight and easier to carry than your traditional boat binoculars, either around your neck or in your pocket. As boaters, we know that if it is easy to use and carry, we will take it with us. They are great for gunkholing and hikes.
- They have a lens and prism design like binoculars.
- They are usually priced much less than traditional binoculars.
- A monocular is also great at night as you won’t lose your night vision completely. The eye that you are using for the monocular will readjust to the dark faster than if you are using both eyes with a binocular.
- I have a set of binoculars at each helm with a “do not remove” sticker. When you are underway and see something ahead, you can’t be searching for the binoculars. I have the monocular as a roamer and it is great while anchored (sitting on the bow ) or day-tripping to throw around my neck or in my backpack.
Which Monocular is Best?
My favourite is a product from Fetch Falcon, a local Vancouver company. A basic monocular starts at $39.99 and ranges up to $199.00. I purchased the Fetch Falcon 12X50 IPX7 Monocular with the Phone Kit. It fits in my hand well, it is lightweight and waterproof. There is also a less expensive version with a slightly smaller range, the Fetch Falcon 10-30 X 50.
- HD Optics provide high power magnification and a large field of view, making it ideal for outdoor activities such as boating, fishing, bird watching, hiking, and glamping.
- With an ergonomic design and one-hand focus, this compact monocular is easy to hold and carry. The central focus button allows for quick and easy adjustments, making it convenient for on-the-go use.
- Waterproof, anti-dust and shock-resistance.
- Can be used as a telephoto lens for your smartphone.
- Comes with a phone kit that includes a tripod, hand strap, smartphone adapter, eyecup, cloth and handy carrying bag.